Definition of partible in English:
Involving or denoting a system of inheritance in which a deceased person’s estate is divided equally among the heirs.
- Powys withstood encroachments from England and Gwynedd throughout its existence, although the Welsh custom of partible inheritance caused rivalries among the ruling family.
- Particularly by the sixteenth century, however, an additional tension had been introduced into the system of partible inheritance.
- As a result of land reallocations in the past, partible inheritance practices among landowners resulted in plots of dwindling size in only a few generations.
- Example sentences
- I use the Strathernian language of personal partibility intentionally here to describe these various transactions, for there are several aspects of ‘hot’ interpersonal agency involved in these and other kangakanga.
- Thus the various ritual capacities of North Mekeo chiefs and sorcerers typify the sort of interpersonal agency implicit in Melanesian personal partibility.
- Chapter 6 explores Strathern's notion of personal partibility with respect to hybridity models of Clifford and Latour.
Words that rhyme with partiblecontractible
Definition of partible in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan