- An apparatus for accelerating subatomic particles to high velocities by means of electric or electromagnetic fields. The accelerated particles are generally made to collide with other particles, either as a research technique or for the generation of high-energy X-rays and gamma rays.More example sentences
- In 1983, this theory was confirmed by the direct observation of the heavy gauge bosons in the powerful particle accelerator at CERN in Geneva.
- While at Brookhaven, the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, the world's largest particle accelerator for nuclear physics research, became operational.
- They also improved the equipment used to detect these elements, and in 1939 scientists first used a cyclotron particle accelerator as a mass spectrometer.
More definitions of particle acceleratorDefinition of particle accelerator in:
- The British & World English dictionary