Definition of partridge in English:
noun (plural same or partridges)
A short-tailed game bird with mainly brown plumage, native to Eurasia.
- Family Phasianidae: several genera and many species, in particular the gray partridge (Perdix perdix), introduced into the northern US, and the red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa), introduced into Colorado
- Raptors are known to prey on game species, such as quails, partridges, pheasants and rabbits.
- The ubiquitous starling is one of the most widespread problem species but blackbirds, partridges, robins, sparrows, thrushes, and finches are also common.
- For many years this bird was persecuted by game preservers who believed that it was detrimental to both pheasants and partridges.
Words that rhyme with partridgecartridge
Definition of partridge in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.