(Of a woman or female mammal) about to give birth; in labor.
- General practitioners and, increasingly after 1950, obstetricians attended most parturient women.
- It may be difficult to extrapolate our findings to contemporary parturient women.
- These trends in health disorders may be related to the general suppression of immune function that occurs in parturient dairy cows.
A parturient woman.
- Among anxious parturients, fetuses moved into a more active state when maternal relaxation was achieved with hypnotherapy.
- Backache after labour and delivery occurs in half of parturients irrespective of whether they received regional anaesthesia.
- The authors studied the records of 3,461 parturients who had at least one other delivery at the study hospital and whose previous offspring's cord serum specimens were available.
Late 16th century: from Latin parturient- 'being in labor', from the verb parturire, inceptive of parere 'bring forth'.
Words that rhyme with parturientesurient, luxuriant, prurient
Definition of parturient in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.