Definition of passenger pigeon in English:
An extinct long-tailed North American pigeon, noted for its long migrations in huge flocks. It was relentlessly hunted, the last individual dying in captivity in 1914.
- Ectopistes migratorius, family Columbidae
- Some have become extinct, the great auk, the passenger pigeon and the famous dodo bird have all disappeared.
- The euro may strengthen against the dollar, but I think the dollar and the euro share the same fate, like the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.
- If we had been smarter, we'd still have the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.
Definition of passenger pigeon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan