Definition of passenger pigeon in English:
An extinct long-tailed North American pigeon, noted for its long migrations in huge flocks. It was relentlessly hunted, the last individual dying in captivity in 1914.
- Ectopistes migratorius, family Columbidae
- Some have become extinct, the great auk, the passenger pigeon and the famous dodo bird have all disappeared.
- The euro may strengthen against the dollar, but I think the dollar and the euro share the same fate, like the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.
- If we had been smarter, we'd still have the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.
Definition of passenger pigeon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.