Definition of passivate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective passivated)
1Make (a metal or other substance) unreactive by altering the surface layer or coating the surface with a thin inert layer: components are made from passivated and anodized aluminum
More example sentences
- The surface of the chips was passivated by an ONO layer, which allowed multiple reuses of the chip.
- The new technology is based on a water dispersion of the organic metal, which passivates the copper and provides catalytic sites for the chemical deposition of pure tin, which is the final surface.
- We fractured the tips flat with inner diameters of 6-8 m with a microforge (Stoelting, Wood Dale, IL) and then coated the tips with SurfaSil to passivate the surface.
1.1 Electronics Coat (a semiconductor) with inert material to protect it from contamination.
- Batteries and other onboard energy sources can be similarly passivated, although this is not quite so simple and adds more cost.
- These transistors replace the traditional doped silicon junctions with passivated metal-silicon interfaces.
- They will passivate the surface of zinc and zinc alloy electrodeposits with a thin film that provides end-user benefits such as color, abrasion resistance and increased corrosion protection.
- Example sentences
- For the applicator, hexavalent chromium passivations are easy to use and can be bulk applied often by a single-stage immersion and are inexpensive to make-up and operate.
- According to one report, General Motors will prohibit the use of hexavalent chromium passivations on its products beginning in 2002.
- Totally non-chromium passivations have been under development for some time, and there exists a number of alternatives.
Definition of passivate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan