Definition of pastiche in English:
1An artistic work in a style that imitates that of another work, artist, or period: the operetta is a pastiche of 18th century styles the songs amount to much more than blatant pastiche
More example sentences
- Duchamp offers us a pastiche of Delvaux's style, his manière, which features in painting after painting groups of women in various stages of nudity parading through dreamlike landscapes.
- The novel borrows one of James's favourite narrative methods without attempting anything like a pastiche of his style.
- The piece was initially meant to be, among other things, a pastiche of Ray Bradbury's sci-fi entertainments.
1.1An artistic work consisting of a medley of pieces taken from various sources.
- I envision them as two goatee-stroking trainspotters with swelled, distended craniums, able to assimilate incidental music from any source into a perfect pastiche.
- His canvases are pastiches, literally layered with familiar figures that seem to float in and mingle - Porky Pig, National Geographic primitives, and naked women with bodies splayed in standard porn poses.
- Thus came the parlour songs, which at first were a mixture of folky adaptations and pastiches of operatic arias; verses of gentle melancholy were set to simple melodies accompanied by an Alberti bass or arpeggios.
verb[with object] Back to top
Imitate the style of (an artist or work): Gauguin took himself to a Pacific island and pastiched the primitive art he found there
More example sentences
- The first three books were pastiches and I didn't want to end up pastiching myself and finishing in a dark cobbled alley I'd been down before.
- Bogart and Bergman's heart-rending airstrip farewell is enshrined as one of the all-time great endings, and was pastiched to great effect in Woody Allen's Play It Again Sam.
- Some may remember Niagara, the '80s French pop duo who often pastiched the glory days of Gainsbourg - cool tunes, snappy vids and serious retro chic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan