- 1A noble order or class: the Venetian merchants became a great hereditary patriciateMore example sentences
- Her book opens with a discussion of the changing understanding of the notion of nobility, and the ways in which the aspirations of the Venetian patriciate towards nobility developed during the course of the renaissance.
- As defeatism spread from meetings and rallies into the social clubs of the wealthy and renowned, the Unionist patriciate expressed dismay.
- Finally, the crisis with the Gracchus brothers revealed the weakness of the patriciate and of the constitution.
More definitions of patriciateDefinition of patriciate in:
- The British & World English dictionary