Definition of patriot in English:
1A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
- Both her paternal and maternal relatives were American patriots who vigorously supported the new republic of the United States of America.
- Along the way, he proves that a true patriot is one who defends his or her country's finest ideals.
- It's the irony of the situation today that those who claim to be Indian patriots supported British rule.
- Example sentences
- Neither the idealism nor the patriotism of those who serve is in question here.
- It is so deeply wrong to viciously attack the patriotism of those who dissent peacefully.
- The story passed from generation to generation to encourage the patriotism of Chinese children.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan