1A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
More example sentences
- Both her paternal and maternal relatives were American patriots who vigorously supported the new republic of the United States of America.
- Along the way, he proves that a true patriot is one who defends his or her country's finest ideals.
- It's the irony of the situation today that those who claim to be Indian patriots supported British rule.
- More example sentences
- Neither the idealism nor the patriotism of those who serve is in question here.
- It is so deeply wrong to viciously attack the patriotism of those who dissent peacefully.
- The story passed from generation to generation to encourage the patriotism of Chinese children.