- Included are geometrics, florals and foliates, animals and nature motifs and other decorative repeat patterns.
- These aspects then become ornamented with Islamic-inspired decorative patterns and Islamic cultural artifacts.
- It featured exuberant decorative patterns, designs in the brickwork and wooden attachments.
- Structurally, the tumor cells were arranged in a medullary pattern composed of polygonal tumor cells.
- The hair-cells within the spiralling cochlear duct are arranged in a pattern like the bristles of a brush.
- The fossils indicate the wings had feathers, arranged in a similar pattern to that of modern birds.
- An ECG also shows doctors how fast your heart is beating and whether it's beating in a regular pattern.
- Then activate the timer, and the patterns automatically sequence and repeat.
- Basically, a clock depends on something that repeats a pattern at a very regular rate.
- Using a T-shirt and an A-line skirt as guides, make paper patterns.
- Using your pattern, the cloth is then cut and trimmed, along with the finest linings and silks available.
- These follow a similar pattern to the later instructions.
- Find instructions and free patterns on the Internet.
- I wish I could list out the Christmas knitting patterns, but three out of the four intendees occasionally peruse the blog, and it's not much fun if they know in advance.
- It involves using a special type of sand and a wooden pattern.
- Visual inspection of the quality of the metal pattern was carried out using a 20x lens on an upright light microscope.
- With regard to disease processes, the chapters follow the same layout and provide an excellent pattern for learning.
- If this can be achieved, the pattern and example that he sets will be not just for Scotland, but a light to the world.
- Therefore, the 1937 treaty set the pattern for the subsequent flurries of activities.
- Delilah dressed in a large dress that was light green and was littered with bows and patterned with rosebuds.
- Amy turns around in her pastel pink frilly-laced top, patterned with small flowers.
- Lola herself has doffed her shabby robe and is wearing a gaudy dress patterned with large flowers.
- I can't help but think we are still looking to secular models to pattern our thinking rather than to revelation.
- These visible alterations in chromosome structure do not affect polarity by altering transcription of key patterning genes.
- These innovations all involve evolutionary changes in the regulation of polyp and colony-wide patterning systems.
- Staff members will pattern their leadership after those above them - not after what others say as much as what they do.
- Today it is not uncommon for some of the so-called replica firearms to be of better quality and performance than the originals they were patterned after.
- While polyphonic tones were better than monotones, they still sounded more like an old video game than the music they were patterned after.
Middle English patron 'something serving as a model', from Old French (see patron). The change in sense is from the idea of a patron giving an example to be copied. Metathesis in the second syllable occurred in the 16th century By 1700 patron ceased to be used of things, and the two forms became differentiated in sense.
Originally pattern and patron were the same word. Patron comes, via French, from Latin patronus ‘protector of clients, defender’, a sense which explains J. K. Rowling's use of ‘Patronus’ for a spell that produces a protecting animal in the Harry Potter books. The word goes back to pater ‘father’ ( see further under pope). The word pattern developed from the idea of a patron giving an example to be copied. The swapping round of sounds (metathesis) of the vowel and the ‘r’ occurred in the 16th century, and by 1700 patron ceased to be used of things, and the two forms developed different senses.
Words that rhyme with patternbaton, batten, fatten, flatten, harmattan, Manhattan, Mountbatten, paten, patten, platen, Saturn, slattern
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.