- 1The oval seed of a South American plant, widely roasted and salted and eaten as a snack.More example sentences
- In western countries they are most familiar as roasted or salted peanuts, or in peanut butter or incorporated in confectionery.
- Rich in essential fatty acids and protein, it also contains organic dry roasted Valencia peanuts and sea salt.
- How she loved to crunch them; dry roasted peanuts, macadamias, cashews, pistachios, walnuts and Brazils.
- 1.1 (peanuts) • informal A paltry thing or amount, especially a very small amount of money: he pays peanutsMore example sentences
- Whatever the extra cost on top of the original £4.1 million budget, it would be money worth spending and peanuts compared to the potential cost to the York economy of nine more months of traffic chaos.
- These corruption charges amount to an amount of money that's peanuts compared to the corruption that went on before him.
- Harper's gas tax plan will cost peanuts and save Canadians pennies but it's something everyone can relate to with soaring gas prices.
- 1.2A small person (often used as a term of endearment).More example sentences
- ‘Here you go, peanut,’ Adam handed them to his daughter.
- ‘Oh, peanut, I'm so sorry,’ he told her, kissing her forehead.
- He finally looked up at me and smiled, ‘Hey peanut.’
- 1.3 (peanuts) Small pieces of Styrofoam used for packing material.More example sentences
- My things were still enclosed in hundreds of packing boxes, and I eyed the Styrofoam peanuts peeking out of them with happiness.
- Giggling with delight, he fished through the styrofoam peanuts and retrieved a length of silk, folded about three inches wide and almost two feet long, then tied with a ribbon.
- The big shopping services also create a new and significant waste stream of cardboard boxes and styrofoam packing peanuts.
- 2The plant of the pea family that bears the peanut, which develops in pods that ripen underground. It is widely cultivated, especially in the southern US, and large quantities are used to make oil or animal feed.
More example sentences
- Arachis hypogaea, family Leguminosae
- Yucca, plantain, peanuts, sweet potatoes, and sugarcane are grown, as well as medicinal herbs.
- He encouraged farmers to try new crops, like peanuts, cowpeas and sweet potatoes, and to try new rotations, better cultural practices and more appropriate machinery.
- They grow several staple crops, including manioc root, sweet potatoes, sugar cane, peanuts, and plantains.
More definitions of peanutDefinition of peanut in:
- The British & World English dictionary