Definition of pearl millet in English:
A tall tropical grain with long cylindrical ears, comprising an important food crop in the driest areas of Africa and South Asia.
- Pennisetum glaucum (or typhoides), family Gramineae
- Glabrous mutant varieties have been identified in many cereal crop species, including rice, wheat, barley, oats, pearl millet, sugarcane, and sorghum.
- Though pearl millet, a grain crop native to western Africa, is grown in the United States for forage, there is no established grain market for it.
- Considerable efforts have been made to introduce the trait into crops such as maize and pearl millet by traditional breeding involving interspecific hybridization.
Definition of pearl millet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.