Definition of pebble in English:
- We had sediments, river mud, pebbles rounded by water action, even the remains of aquatic plants on the site.
- It's a lovely place and we walked across stepping stones and skimmed pebbles in the river.
- They consist of particulate rocks that vary in size from sand to pebbles and cobbles.
adjective[attributive] informal Back to top
- Example sentences
- A handsome man strides along a pebbled beach in New England.
- The floor under the stairs is pebbled with a wall-length glass panel window overlooking the well-kept garden.
- We sat on the pebbled beach and watched the sun setting.
Late Old English, recorded as the first element of papel-stān 'pebble-stone', pyppelrīpig 'pebble-stream', of unknown origin. The word is recorded in place names from the early 12th century onward.
Words that rhyme with pebblerebel, treble
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.