1A small stalk bearing an individual flower in an inflorescence. Compare with peduncle.
- An umbel is an inflorescence in which a number of flower stalks or pedicels, nearly equal in length, spread from a common center.
- Counts were made of all buds, flowers, pedicels where flowers or fruits had aborted, and fruits.
- The pedicel of the highest open flower on each inflorescence was tagged daily with a piece of dated tape for the duration of the experiment.
1.1 Anatomy & Zoology another term for pedicle.
- A few posterior dorsals have a pair of depressions ventral to the pedicel on the edge of the intervertebral face.
- A longitudinal crest on the medial face of each pedicel of the neural arch gives the neural canal an eight-shaped cross section in its central part.
- Near the base of the pedicel, the transverse process projects lateroventrally.
- Example sentences
- The only pedicellate flowered species in the state, T. pusillum var. texanum, is part of the T. pusillum complex, which occurs in a series of widely disjunct populations throughout much of the southeastern United States.
- Ear cross sections: In maize, the spikelets are arranged in pairs, one pedicellate and one sessile.
- Amphiumas also lack external gills (while retaining one of three pairs of larval gill slits), and their teeth are pedicellate.
Late 17th century: from modern Latin pedicellus 'small foot', diminutive of pes, ped- 'foot'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pedicel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.