Definition of pedicle in English:
nounAnatomy & Zoology
1A small stalklike structure connecting an organ or other part to the human or animal body. Compare with pedicel.
- The prostatic pedicles are groupings of connective tissue found on either side of the vas deferens and seminal vesicle.
- After the lung and tumor are removed, a vascular pedicle of pericardial fat is loosely sutured to the bronchial stump.
- This is stabilised using titanium screws placed in the pedicle of the vertebrae, with a rod connecting the screws.
1.1 Medicine Part of a graft, especially a skin graft, left temporarily attached to its original site.
- The TRAM flap remains attached to the superior pedicle, while the donor vessels are exposed.
- Despite meticulous suturing, telescoping techniques, or covering the anastomosis with pedicles of vital tissues, dehiscence may still occur.
- Suggested treatment for small, intact blisters is to remove the blister contents by needle aspiration or to lance the blister at its base but leave a pedicle of attachment.
early 17th century: from Latin pediculus 'small foot', diminutive of pes, ped-.
Definition of pedicle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan