Definition of pediment in English:
1The triangular upper part of the front of a building in classical style, typically surmounting a portico of columns.
- The city was gloriously clean, its classical columns and pediments and its baroque scrolls and volutes now clearly delineated by the shadows cast by an oblique sun on their pale surfaces.
- The entablature and pediment of the portico are supported by two pairs of massive Ionic columns.
- A massive pediment with entablature is supported by four Roman Doric columns on granite bases.
1.1A feature similar to a pediment surmounting a door, window, front, or other part of a building in another style.
- Next time you see a Venetian window, a triangular pediment, a coved gallery ceiling, or a Georgian terrace with lined stucco, remember who started it all.
- With an original oak floor, this area also features a carved oak ceiling rose, pediments, cornices and architraves.
- Like the great house, its windows were surmounted by alternating triangular and rounded pediments.
late 16th century (as periment): perhaps an alteration of pyramid.
- Example sentences
- Bosses used for the attachment of plumb lines survive on the pedimental sculpture and reliefs of the temple of Zeus at Olympia.
- Example sentences
- Built from whinstone, with a slate roof, the pedimented front door is a particularly handsome feature.
- He enlarged it, adding a third floor and two projecting pedimented Ionic pseudo-porticoes located to the east and west.
- It was built in a style that would not be out of place in Rome or Athens: the ruins had porticoed and pedimented fronts, and were supported by carved Corinthian pillars.
Definition of pediment in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan