Definition of peduncle in English:
1The stalk bearing a flower or fruit, or the main stalk of an inflorescence. Compare with pedicel.
- In angiosperms, trichomes may occur on leaves, petals, stems, petioles, peduncles and seed coats, depending on the species.
- The reddish colour of the depistillated flower and its peduncle is a response to high light intensities during anthesis and should not be interpreted to indicate senescence.
- Briefly, after harvesting, fruit peduncles were trimmed to uniform length with a scalpel, and each fruit was immediately placed in an autoclaved container with a nutrient solution.
1.1 Zoology A stalklike part by which an organ is attached to an animal’s body, or by which a barnacle or other sedentary animal is attached to a substrate.
- The twisting action allows the animal to use the flukes in conjunction with the peduncle as a rudder.
- In addition to the tentacles, these extremities include the hypostome, the lower peduncle, which is committed to foot formation, and the foot.
- The body of the fish is measured from the tip of the mouth to the caudal peduncle (end of the body wall muscle).
- Example sentences
- Overall, the ovules in the most peduncular / basal positions within the ovary are less likely to be fertilized than those in the most stylar/distal positions.
- Thus, the peduncular vertebrae form a rigid bar, interposed between two relatively flexible joints.
Words that rhyme with peduncleuncle
Definition of peduncle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.