- The end of a hammer head opposite the face, typically wedge-shaped, curved, or spherical.More example sentences
- The other end is a ball-shaped peen for metal working.
- Besides the two ball peens, a one pound scaling hammer and a ten and a half pound handled sledge were offered.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1Strike with a hammer or the peen of a hammer.More example sentences
- The entire massive plinth and the next solid moulding above it are left with a rough surface, dented by heavy hammers and not peened to a sheen.
- It is important to peen the weld metal while hot to help eliminate shrinkage, warpage, and possibly cracks.
- Short welds using a wandering sequence should be used and the weld should be peened as quickly as possible after welding.
- 1.1 another term for shot-peen.
early 16th century (as a verb): probably of Scandinavian origin; compare with Swedish dialect pena (ut), Danish dialect pene (ud) 'beat (out)'.
More definitions of peenDefinition of peen in:
- The British & World English dictionary