- Easily irritated, especially by unimportant things: all this makes Steve fretful and peevishMore example sentences
irritable, fractious, fretful, cross, petulant, querulous, pettish, crabby, crotchety, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, sullen, grumpy, bad-tempered, short-tempered, touchy, testy, tetchy, snappish, irascible, waspish, prickly, crusty, dyspeptic, splenetic, choleric
- Lyra, who is apparently cast as a rebellious, headstrong girl, comes across as peevish and irritating.
- To some he seemed peevish and antsy-almost wired.
- It happens and we shouldn't get peevish about it.
- More example sentences
- It sort of simmers and bubbles and from time to time erupts into a lava-like spasm of vexation, pique and peevishness.
- One cringes at his bitterness, peevishness, and narcissism, but one also respects him for the fact that he cringes, too.
- I admit my peevishness may be an overreaction but I'd be interested to know what other people think about this.
late Middle English (in the sense 'foolish, insane, spiteful'): of unknown origin.