1Relating to the open sea: the kittiwakes return from their pelagic winter wanderings
More example sentences
- Most deep-sea trenches in the Pacific are floored by normal basaltic oceanic crust overlain by pelagic sediments and ash.
- The pelagic environment is further divided based on water depth.
- Aquatic ecologists have many models for size distributions of pelagic communities.
1.1(Chiefly of fish) inhabiting the upper layers of the open sea. Often contrasted with demersal.
- Adult beluga sturgeon are mainly piscivores, swimming at middle depths and preying mostly on pelagic fish species.
- Among coastal river otters in this region, sociality could be explained by the benefits obtained from cooperative foraging on high-quality schooling pelagic fishes.
- Under such conditions, we predict that more social otters would have diets higher in better quality pelagic fishes, compared with otters that exhibit low levels of sociality.
Mid 17th century: via Latin from Greek pelagikos, from pelagios 'of the sea' (from pelagos 'level surface of the sea').
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pelagic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.