- A very fine-grained sediment or sedimentary rock composed of clay or mud particles.More example sentences
- The latter sediments are covered by pelites and sandstones carrying marine invertebrate fossils and deltaic facies with a Glossopteris flora, which indicates an Early Permian age.
- Foliations vary from grain-shape fabrics in quartzites and psammites, to a dominant crenulation cleavage in pelites, with intermediate rocks showing folded cleavage within a bed, and sometimes two cross-cutting cleavages.
- A variety of sedimentary lithologies have been metamorphosed including pelites, psammites, quartzites and carbonates.
late 19th century: from Greek pēlos 'clay, mud' + -ite1.
More definitions of peliteDefinition of pelite in:
- The British & World English dictionary