Definition of pelycosaur in English:
A large extinct reptile of the late Carboniferous and Permian periods, typically having a line of long bony spines along the back supporting a sail-like crest.
- Order Pelycosauria, subclass Synapsida: several families and genera, including Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus
- Between the Carboniferous pelycosaurs and the first Jurassic mammals, the jaw articulation changed.
- A characteristic pelycosaur was Dimetrodon, a large predator from the Permian of Texas.
- Nevertheless these primitive animals were more advanced on the road the to mammalian evolution, and, like the pelycosaurs, diverged along several lines as herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores.
Late 19th century: from Greek pelux, peluk- 'bowl' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of pelycosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.