Definition of pelycosaur in English:
A large extinct reptile of the late Carboniferous and Permian periods, typically having a line of long bony spines along the back supporting a sail-like crest.
- Order Pelycosauria, subclass Synapsida: several families and genera, including Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus
- Between the Carboniferous pelycosaurs and the first Jurassic mammals, the jaw articulation changed.
- A characteristic pelycosaur was Dimetrodon, a large predator from the Permian of Texas.
- Nevertheless these primitive animals were more advanced on the road the to mammalian evolution, and, like the pelycosaurs, diverged along several lines as herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores.
mid 20th century: from Greek pelux, peluk- 'bowl' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of pelycosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan