Definition of pen shell in English:
A large, wedge-shaped, bivalve mollusk of warm seas that burrows into the seabed where it attaches itself by strong byssus threads.
- Family Pinnidae: Pinna and other genera
- Included are pen shells, pearl oysters and a young Tridacna.
- Modern pinnoideans, or ‘pen shells,’ are shallowly to deeply endobyssate, equivalved, edentulous, ham-shaped bivalves with a single, slightly submerged, opisthodetic ligament.
- Perfect for photography, the cave walls and rocky floor are filled with marine life, including pen shells and seahorses.
Definition of pen shell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.