- 1 Soccer A free kick at the goal from the penalty spot (which only the goalkeeper is allowed to defend), awarded to the attacking team after a foul within the penalty area by an opponent.More example sentences
- Well, in the space of 132 seconds of extra time, France converted on a free kick to tie and then took advantage of a foul to score the winning goal on a penalty kick.
- Another solution might be to award a penalty kick against a player found guilty of swearing at an official in the way that free throws are awarded in basketball for such offences.
- Images of him taking his shirt off in the final game have been more widely published and acclaimed than pictures of his penalty kick against Argentina.
- 2 Rugby A placekick awarded to a team after an offense by an opponent.More example sentences
- Dundee striker blew a great chance to level when he saw his penalty kick saved.
- Of course, if the sending-off offence would also lead to a penalty kick, then committing the offence is almost never justifiable.
- Then 20 minutes after good play by the visiting backs and forward the scrumhalf equalised the score with a penalty kick.
More definitions of penalty kickDefinition of penalty kick in:
- The British & World English dictionary