Either of two small-leaved plants of the mint family, used in herbal medicine.
- A creeping Eurasian plant (Mentha pulegium), and American pennyroyal (Hedeoma pulegioides), family Labiatae
More example sentences
- Mint, lemon balm, pennyroyal, chives, chamomile, mayflower, and summer savory are a few herbs perfectly suited to this microclimate.
- This also is true of many herbal tablets, capsules and extracts, including black or blue cohosh, ephedra, dong quai, feverfew, juniper, pennyroyal, St. John's wort, rosemary and thuja.
- Essential oils from allspice, basil, cedar, cinnamon, citronella, garlic, geranium, lavender, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, rosemary, and thyme have been reported to have repellent properties.
mid 16th century: from Anglo-Norman French puliol (based on Latin pulegium 'thyme') + real 'royal'.
Definition of pennyroyal in:
- The British & World English dictionary