- 1A sluice or floodgate for regulating the flow of a body of water.More example sentences
- A spokesman for the agency said the penstock sluice gates were opened after the last bout of flooding to allow trapped water to return to the river, but after an ‘oversight’ they were left open.
- The work will involve the construction of maximum strength earth embankments and masonry walls along the Derwent, as well as the installation of floodgates, penstocks and flood valves.
- These schemes made use of the flow of water through a series of reservoirs, tunnels, penstocks and power plants.
- 1.1A channel for conveying water to a waterwheel or turbine.More example sentences
- We are now putting down pedestals where the penstock pipes will be laid leading to the power house.
More definitions of penstockDefinition of penstock in:
- The British & World English dictionary