Definition of pentadactyl in English:
(Of a vertebrate limb) having five toes or fingers, or derived from such a form, as characteristic of all tetrapods.
- No single mutation can produce a pentadactyl limb of vertebrate type on a Drosophila.
- These morphological facts show that the pentadactyl limb arose after the fin-limb transition and is the product of the canalization of the phenotype of the archaic limbs.
- Others include pentadactyl feet and presence of a clavicle.
- Example sentences
- He pointed out, for example, that the developmental genetic explanation of the prevalence of pentadactyly assumes tetrapod monophyly.
- This was a very surprising discovery because pentadactyly had been assumed to be the normal condition in ‘early’ tetrapods.
Definition of pentadactyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan