Definition of pentameral in English:
(Of symmetry) fivefold, as typical of many echinoderms. Compare with pentamerous.
- The echinoderm body plan has pentameral symmetry, a water vascular system and a ring-shaped nervous system.
- The most distinctive thing about echinoderm appearance is their pentameral - that is, a five fold - radial symmetry.
- The distinctive pentameral symmetry of this specimen has no close similarity to figured articular facets of fossil and recent hyocrinids.
- Example sentences
- Pentamerally symmetric echinoderms are a bilaterian metazoan phylum whose members exhibit secondarily derived radial symmetry.
- Some forms, such as the starfish, are pentamerally symmetrical, with five equal sides.
Definition of pentameral in:
- British & World English dictionary