- A bronze-yellow mineral that consists of a sulfide of iron and nickel and is the principal ore of nickel.More example sentences
- Some older analyses show the presence of small amounts of NJ, Co, and Cu, but these are almost invariably found to reflect the presence of tiny exsolved grains of such minerals as chalcopyrite and pentlandite.
- Preliminary assessment suggests the mineralogy is mainly pentlandite + pyrrhotite.
- The most common ores of nickel are pentlandite, pyrrhotite, and garnierite.
mid 19th century: from the name of Joseph B. Pentland (1797–1873), Irish traveler, + -ite1.
More definitions of pentlanditeDefinition of pentlandite in:
- The British & World English dictionary