Definition of pentobarbital in English:
A narcotic and sedative barbiturate drug formerly used to relieve insomnia.
- Alternative name: 5-ethyl-5-(1-methylbutyl)-barbituric acid; often used as the sodium salt (sodium pentobarbitone, Nembutal)
- In this experiment, human volunteers consistently underestimated their performance impairment after acute administrations of triazolam, but not pentobarbital, a barbiturate.
- One drug in particular, sodium pentobarbital - a barbiturate used to euthanize animals - is of prime concern.
- To induce a coma, an anesthesiologist typically infuses a patient with increasing doses of the barbiturate pentobarbital while monitoring her brain waves with electrodes.
Definition of pentobarbital in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.