Definition of pentobarbital in English:
A narcotic and sedative barbiturate drug formerly used to relieve insomnia.
- Alternative name: 5-ethyl-5-(1-methylbutyl)-barbituric acid; often used as the sodium salt (sodium pentobarbitone, Nembutal)
- In this experiment, human volunteers consistently underestimated their performance impairment after acute administrations of triazolam, but not pentobarbital, a barbiturate.
- One drug in particular, sodium pentobarbital - a barbiturate used to euthanize animals - is of prime concern.
- To induce a coma, an anesthesiologist typically infuses a patient with increasing doses of the barbiturate pentobarbital while monitoring her brain waves with electrodes.
Definition of pentobarbital in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan