Definition of peppery in English:
1Strongly flavored with pepper or other hot spices: a hot, peppery dish
More example sentences
- To partner spicy or peppery dishes, New World Cabernets and Merlots generally stand up better than their European equivalents.
- Don't be afraid of this peppery dish, it isn't that spicy after all.
- Other sea food choices include seared red snapper, steamed flying fish served with crab meat on a bed of local pilaf rice, or grilled Cajun swordfish dished out with a peppery pineapple-melon salsa.
1.1Having a flavor or scent like that of pepper.
- Rich and juicy aromas of ripe plum and black cherry with mild peppery scents offer mild flavours of clove before a rip-roaring juicy fruit bursts through leading to ripe yet firm tannins taking you on a long finish.
- Galangal is a gingery, peppery spice favored in Southeast Asian cooking, and it gives the soup an exotic kick, like a delicate, Malay version of lobster chowder.
- My wife gave her benediction to a helping of striped bass, doused in peppery Indian spices and sautéed in fillets small enough to be eaten with chopsticks.
1.2(Of a person) irritable and sharp-tongued: retired generals are expected to be peppery
- Example sentences
- It is also perfect with fatty meats such as duck and pork, since its tangy pepperiness cuts through the richness.
- It manages to be silky and mellow, with damson and cocoa but at the same time, that pepperiness packs a punch.
- It's a creamy dram with a distinct pepperiness that gives it dimension.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan