Definition of perikaryon in English:
noun (plural perikarya-ˈkarēə)Physiology
The cell body of a neuron, containing the nucleus.
- The perikaryon of a microglial cell is irregular in shape, and, if elongated, the few processes emanate from both of its poles.
- The presence of these nerve cells at the surface exposes them unduly to damage; it is estimated that 1 per cent of the fibers of the olfactory nerves (axons of olfactory neurons) is lost each year of life because of injury to the perikarya.
- The perikarya of the unpaired ventral nerve cord are distributed over almost the entire length of a trunk segment.
- Example sentences
- Typically, the localization was diffuse within the individual tumor cells and was distributed equally in both the perikaryal cytoplasm and in major fibrillated cell processes.
- Immunohistochemically, the cells with ganglionic features showed focal perikaryal staining for synaptophysin and chromogranin.
Definition of perikaryon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.