Definition of perineurium in English:
The sheath of connective tissue surrounding a bundle (fascicle) of nerve fibers within a nerve.
- The endoneurium is continuous with the more abundant connective tissue perineurium, which envelops bundles of nerve fibers.
- It strongly stained the perineurium but did not stain the nerve fibers within the perineurium, thus giving a ringlike staining pattern.
- However, in most of the smaller fibers the space between nerve and perineurium was reduced or absent, so that it could not be established whether the peripheral staining represented nerve fibers or perineurium.
- Example sentences
- In one of these 2 biopsies, ganglion cells were identified within the perineurial ring.
- The distribution of amyloid (endoneurial, perineurial, or epineurial), the presence of inflammation, and the presence of axonal degeneration or demyelination were recorded for each case.
- It may be that epithelial membrane antigen is focally positive, a finding in agreement with the presence of perineurial cell component in the tumors.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peri- 'around' + neuron 'sinew'.
Definition of perineurium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.