Definition of periodic acid in English:
A hygroscopic solid acid with strong oxidizing properties.
- Chemical formula: H5IO6
- Semi-thin sections were incubated first with periodic acid for 8 min, rinsed in distilled water and then treated in the dark with Schiff reagent for 15 min to reveal carbohydrates.
- We also note that atherinomorphs have periodic acid Schiff-positive yolk, but the phylogenetic significance of this observation remains to be determined with further surveys.
- Example sentences
- The major dissolved proteins detected in this study were determined to be glycosylated, based on the detection of an aldehyde group formed by the periodate oxidation of the electrophoretically separated dissolved proteins.
- Hydroxy groups on carbohydrates can be converted to aldehydes through periodate oxidation.
Definition of periodic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.