Definition of periodize in English:
verb[with object] formal
Divide (a portion of time) into periods.
- This was the hegemonic text in which Mill periodised Indian history into three periods - Hindu civilisation, Muslim civilisation and the British period.
- His raising of the problem of periodizing the history of the discussion about the historical Jesus is important, and I hope the insight is deepened to the point where the periods are recognized for what they are: perspectival shifts.
- This suggests that scholars need a new model for periodizing environmental history, one that emphasizes the 1950s and also focuses on European integration.
- Example sentences
- As for accepting the words ‘twenty-first’ and ‘century,’ our inner historians should cry out for better periodization.
- What is clear is that the various ‘post ‘categories are not very useful in any attempt at periodization.
- These were accepted largely without question and we have lived with this periodisation for almost two hundred years.…
Definition of periodize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.