Definition of periodize in English:
verb[with object] formal
Divide (a portion of time) into periods.
- This was the hegemonic text in which Mill periodised Indian history into three periods - Hindu civilisation, Muslim civilisation and the British period.
- His raising of the problem of periodizing the history of the discussion about the historical Jesus is important, and I hope the insight is deepened to the point where the periods are recognized for what they are: perspectival shifts.
- This suggests that scholars need a new model for periodizing environmental history, one that emphasizes the 1950s and also focuses on European integration.
- Example sentences
- As for accepting the words ‘twenty-first’ and ‘century,’ our inner historians should cry out for better periodization.
- What is clear is that the various ‘post ‘categories are not very useful in any attempt at periodization.
- These were accepted largely without question and we have lived with this periodisation for almost two hundred years.…
Definition of periodize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan