Definition of periosteum in English:
noun (plural periostea /-ˈästēə/)Anatomy
A dense layer of vascular connective tissue enveloping the bones except at the surfaces of the joints.
- Holes and channels run through it, carrying blood vessels and nerves from the periosteum, the bone's membrane covering, to its inner parts.
- The resultant cellulitis is preseptal, or anterior to the orbital septum, involving a fibrous layer beginning at the periosteum of the skull and extending to the eyelids.
- The orbital septum, a connective tissue reflection of the periosteum, inserts into the eyelids and separates them from the orbits.
- Example sentences
- Intraoperatively there was no evidence of either dural or periosteal penetration.
- Patients with nonunions had a history of repetitive trauma, periosteal new bone formation, and complete obliteration of the medullary canal at the fracture site.
- A periosteal flap was harvested from the proximal medial subcutaneous border of the tibia.
Definition of periosteum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan