Definition of periphyton in English:
Freshwater organisms attached to or clinging to plants and other objects projecting above the bottom sediments.
- They are commonly called ‘pondscum’, and make up the filamentous periphyton in ponds, growing on and around the larger aquatic plants.
- A spongy, Dijon-colored city of algae and microscopic creatures that floats on the surface, periphyton cleanses the Everglades of excess nutrients and pollutants.
- The tadpoles used in this experiment feed primarily on periphyton by scraping the surfaces of tank walls and leaves.
1960s: from Greek peri- 'around' + phuton 'plant'.
- Example sentences
- How important are rotifers to the ecology of springs and soils, interstitial, and periphytic habitats?
- The presence of herbivores also increased periphytic nutrient content in some experiments.
- A five-level light gradient experiment corroborated these findings: full sunlight suppressed periphytic accumulation.
Definition of periphyton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan