- The involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wavelike movements that push the contents of the canal forward.More example sentences
- Yoga helps your body reabsorb and expel gas by stimulating peristalsis, the muscle contractions that eliminate waste.
- Waves of muscle contractions called peristalsis force food down through the esophagus to the stomach.
- The initial colonization of the walls of the ureter is in areas of turbulent flow which leads to paralysis of peristalsis.
- More example sentences
- He also suggested an expiratory wave of peristaltic smooth muscle contraction starting from the periphery to aid in exhalation.
- The normal esophagus responds immediately with a reflexive peristaltic contraction, a phenomenon called secondary peristalsis.
- Local stimulation by distension along the body of the esophagus will elicit a peristaltic wave at the stimulus site.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peristallein 'wrap around', from peri- 'around' + stallein 'to place'.
More definitions of peristalsisDefinition of peristalsis in:
- The British & World English dictionary