Definition of peritoneum in English:
noun (plural peritoneums or peritonea-ˈnēə)Anatomy
The serous membrane lining the cavity of the abdomen and covering the abdominal organs.
- The diaphragm is then bluntly dissected away from the parietal peritoneum, leaving the peritoneum behind.
- There was no extension into the endometrial cavity, nor into the pelvic peritoneum.
- This treatment uses the lining of the peritoneum to act as the filter.
- Example sentences
- The concern is that additional fluid would cause further distension and leakage of bowel contents into the peritoneal cavity.
- A peritoneal dialysis catheter is placed under sterile conditions.
- If no cells are present in this peritoneal mucous, the prognosis is excellent.
Pronunciation: /ˌperətnˈēəl/ /perəˈtōnēəl/adjective
Words that rhyme with peritoneumathenaeum, atheneum, coliseum, Liam, lyceum, mausoleum, museum, propylaeum, Te Deum
Definition of peritoneum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan