Definition of periwig in English:
1A highly styled wig worn formerly as a fashionable headdress by both women and men.
- The periwig, adopted from French fashion after the Restoration, not only concealed baldness or reduced head-lice (since the natural hair was close-cropped or shaved) but was worn to enhance dignity.
- Some seem silly now, like his campaign to rid the New World of periwigs.
- During the Restoration its rooms saw many grand assemblies (at one, Samuel Pepys burnt his periwig on a candle).
1.1 archaic term for wig1.
- The small party was conspicuous enough to be identified by a group of German tourists outside Paris, so they took the precaution of buying periwigs to thicken their disguises.
- He scuttled ahead to hold open the door, moving so jerkily that his periwig slipped down over his forehead.
Words that rhyme with periwigSchleswig • bigwig • Ludwig
Definition of periwig in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan