- We seem to be living in a much more permissive society than our parents and grandparents did.
- We live in a society today far more permissive than the one my parents grew up in.
- Two men, you might argue, played a much greater part in creating the permissive, liberal society, and neither of them were baby boomers.
- The legislation is permissive, not mandatory.
- It is, however, to be noted that the power under s.14 is permissive and discretionary.
- The courts have held that, where the applicable legislation is permissive, an employer's right to take a contribution holiday will be determined by the provisions of the Plan.
- Incubation was at permissive temperatures for 3 days.
- Cells were grown at a permissive temperature to midlog phase and then shifted to restrictive temperature.
- Cells incubated at the permissive temperature demonstrated the typical ‘hill and valley’ appearance.
- The very immune cells that are activated to destroy the virus provide a permissive environment for virus propagation and persistence.
- Endothelial cells are permissive to infection, but they appear to be secondary targets of the virus in infected NHP.
- Finally, the two suppressors at codon 378 are both permissive for all bacteriophages tested at either 37° or 43°.
- Example sentences
- The technology has numerous other uses, significantly reducing the distribution costs of public domain and permissively shared art and speech.
- A permissively raised ‘me’ generation that was brought up to think only of itself is bringing back the rule book now that it has children of its own.
- If powers are precisely rather than permissively formulated, procedures to render visible occasions of use are constructed.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'tolerated, allowed'): from Old French, or from medieval Latin permissivus, from permiss- 'allowed', from the verb permittere (see permit1).
Words that rhyme with permissivemissive, omissive, submissive
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.