Definition of permutation in English:
1A way, especially one of several possible variations, in which a set or number of things can be ordered or arranged: his thoughts raced ahead to fifty different permutations of what he must do
More example sentences
- The possible permutations of ordering the seven stamps determined the need for 42 collages.
- We will give a proof here, independent of Wilson's theorem, that all permutations are possible.
- There are 16 different permutations for a possible World Series matchup this season.
1.1 Mathematics The action of changing the arrangement, especially the linear order, of a set of items.
- The statistical significance of this test is calculated by permutation.
- A simple position permutation was also used to generate random sequences.
- The statistical significance of the values was estimated by permutation analysis using 1,000 replications.
- Example sentences
- His methods here are based on wreath products and permutational products.
- The table was analyzed using an exact permutational test using the algorithm of ROFF and BENTZEN permuted randomly 1000 times.
- Here, the permutational integers are sentences, rather than rhymes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan