Definition of peroxide in English:
1A compound containing two oxygen atoms bonded together in its molecule or as the anion O22−.
- Functions include detoxification of free radicals and peroxides, regulation of cell growth and protein function, and maintenance of immune function.
- The increased accumulation of lipid peroxides is indicative of enhanced production of toxic oxygen species.
- Similar to peroxides, decomposition of disulfides results in the formation of sulfur-centered radicals.
1.1Hydrogen peroxide, especially as used as a bleach for the hair: [as modifier]: a peroxide blonde
More example sentences
- Make poultice soaked with 20% peroxide (hair bleaching strength) and a few drops of ammonia.
- ‘I think it's important to be original,’ the 27-year-old with peroxide blonde hair said.
- A woman steps out, quite tall with peroxide blonde hair, looks English.
verb[with object] Back to top
Bleach (hair) with peroxide.
- I am not convinced by her argument that peroxided hair came into vogue in the early 1920s, nor that the national fascination with blondes was strong in that decade.
- My agent filled them in that my hair had been peroxided and was very weak.
- It took half an hour before a certain table of heavily peroxided girls understood what an essence was.
Definition of peroxide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan