Definition of perpetuity in English:
noun (plural perpetuities)
1A thing that lasts forever or for an indefinite period, in particular.
- And not every time-share goes on into perpetuity.
- But the vehicle for expressing that need doesn't have to be a large company that carries the names of its founders into perpetuity.
- It's actually just an application of the formula for a perpetuity.
1.2 Law A restriction making an estate inalienable perpetually or for a period beyond certain limits fixed by law.
- It is proposed that in future there should be a statutory rule on perpetuities that applies only to specified interests, which are essentially only those arising under wills and trusts.
- The study found that simply changing a state's perpetuities laws wasn't enough to attract trust assets.
- The trust, being created by statute, cannot be held invalid on the ground of perpetuity or on any other ground.
2The state or quality of lasting forever: he did not believe in the perpetuity of military rule
More example sentences
- In short, the second type of scrutiny, which is very essential in the criticism of traditions, relates to the constancy and perpetuity of the chain of narrators.
- The longevity and perpetuity, if not the excellence, of democracy has ensured that no individual or ideology has been able to paint this country in monochromatic colours.
- I don't know that it's got much to do with the endocrine system, but you seem to have mastered the ‘integrity and perpetuity of life’.
in (or for) perpetuity
- Forever: all the Bonapartes were banished from France in perpetuityMore example sentences
- Sales of permanent water mean selling your water in perpetuity; sales of temporary water transfer water on an annual basis.
- In 1625, he leaves prison banished in perpetuity, his health ruined and his spirit broken.
- Or will the children believe they have achieved everything there is to achieve in sport, and seek to rest on their laurels in perpetuity?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan