1A person (often used to express their significance, importance, or elevated status): it was no less a personage than the bishop
More example sentences
- The most influential people in Cambridge society were present and many personages of notable importance had travelled up from London to attend the event.
- There are also historical personages with almost mythical status - Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Francis Drake, Admiral Nelson.
- She appeared to be a princess or a personage of high importance anyway.
1.1A character in a play or other work.
- Dancers perform and various personages enact their masquerade roles before the major characters make their appearances.
- Brenda is lewd, tough, quick-witted, hilarious - a more vivid character than any fictional personage in recent American movies.
- I have the ability to pour myself at will into other cartoon personages - male, female or indeterminate.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.