Definition of pessary in English:
noun (plural pessaries)
1A small soluble block that is inserted into the vagina to treat infection or as a contraceptive.
- In vivo the pessary demonstrated high contraceptive efficacy in rabbits of proven fertility.
- Thrush is easily treated using pessaries (tablets that are inserted into the vagina), cream or tablets.
- Medication for conditions like thrush, such as creams, pessaries or suppositories may also damage latex and prevent the condom working properly.
1.1An elastic or rigid device that is inserted into the vagina to support the uterus.
- Stress incontinence can be treated with intravaginal support devices, pessaries, and urethral ‘plugs.’
- For example, a Gellhorn pessary can offer excellent support for uterine prolapse as long as the perineal body is intact.
- Occlusive devices, such as pessaries, can mimic the effects of a retropubic urethropexy.
Definition of pessary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan