noun (plural petechiae /-kēˌē/)Medicine
A small red or purple spot caused by bleeding into the skin.
- Bruising, petechiae, epistaxis, bleeding gums, excessive menses, retinal hemorrhages, intestinal bleeding, and rarely cerebral hemorrhage may occur as manifestations of the thrombocytopenia.
- On day + 5, the patient developed fever, pneumonia, upper and lower respiratory and upper gastrointestinal bleeding, and diffuse skin petechiae.
- The external autopsy examination revealed anasarca with ascites, jaundice, diffuse petechiae and purpura, and a presacral decubitus ulcer.
- Example sentences
- In the third of these 3 patients, an adult who died with a petechial rash and underlying diabetes, clostridial meningitis was diagnosed.
- Rashes can be categorized as maculopapular (centrally and peripherally distributed), petechial, diffusely erythematous with desquamation, vesiculobullous-pustular and nodular.
- Severe respiratory illness, petechial hemorrhages of the skin and bowel, anemia, and leukopenia justified the name ‘alimentary toxic aleukia.’
Definition of petechia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.