- Gradually Barcelona had petered out in that first half, Ronaldinho in particular.
- A path petered out a few feet from my washing line at the back.
- The men in green will be disappointed with their performance as their smooth first half petered out in the second.
Early 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with peterAkita, Anita, arboreta, beater, beta, Bhagavadgita, cheater, cheetah, Demeter, Dieter, dolce vita, eater, eta, Evita, excreta, fetor, granita, greeter, heater, Juanita, litre (US liter), Lolita, maltreater, margarita, meter, metre, Peta, praetor (US pretor), repeater, Rita, saltpetre (US saltpeter), secretor, Senhorita, señorita, Sita, skeeter, teeter, terra incognita, theta, treater, tweeter, ureter, veleta, zeta
Late Middle English: from the given name Peter, applied in many transferred uses. The current sense dates from the early 20th century.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
Late 19th century: from Blue Peter (the invitation to one's partner to play a further lead in the suit being likened to the raising of this flag).
- The purpose of this blog is to share and discuss info about recent New Testament research with a particular emphasis on 1 Peter.
- The biblical scholar John Dominic Crossan dates the account of the passion within the Gospel of Peter to the middle of the first century C.E.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.