(also petit bourgeoisie)
noun(the petite bourgeoisie) [treated as singular or plural]
- The lower middle class.More example sentences
- Without offering any systematic discussion of who is in each class, Osgerby uses the typology of elites, petite bourgeoisie, working class, and lower classes, and at other times the term ‘middle classes’.
- As the region embarked upon a post-Civil War economic boom, expanding opportunities also recast the Boyle family from members of the working class into the ranks of the petite bourgeoisie.
- In 1851 clerks only accounted for 1.2 per cent of all workers, but by 1911 they accounted for 4.6 per cent. Most of them came from the upper working classes and petite bourgeoisie.
French, literally 'lesser citizenry'.
More definitions of petite bourgeoisieDefinition of petite bourgeoisie in:
- The British & World English dictionary